Once I got confirmation that I have a place for the Quebrantahuesos 2012 I can draft a plan for this year. It will look something like:
- March 4th. I'll take part of The Surrey Rumble. It's close to home so I'll cycle to the start. My intention is to ride the long route (122Km 1,212meters climbing), it is short and flat enough to start the season.
- March 25th. The Man of Ken 200. A 200 to start getting used again to long distances.
- Abril 28th. Droitwich - Towcester. Another 200 to consolidate my fitness on that distance.
- Mayo 12th. The Old Roads 300. The longest distance I plan to ride this year.
- May 20th. The Etape de Dales. 175km and 3,540 meters climbing; being just a week after the 300 I'm not sure how well recovered I'm going to be but I was told the landscapes are beautiful and I didn't want to miss it.
- Junio 10th. The Wiggle Dragon Ride. This seems to be a very popular ride around here. ¡¡The 3,000 places were sold out in just 2 hours!! It was not in my original plan, in fact I never had heard about it. It just happened that at the time of signing up for the Etape-Cymru they offered me the option of signing up for the Wiggle Dragon Ride even if they were sold out. I couldn't resist the temptation. There is a gran-fondo ride (206 km 3,350 meters of climbing) that will be the perfect rehearsal for the Quebrantahuesos thirteen days later.
- Junio 23rd. The Quebrantahuesos. This is going to be my third consecutive participation (I still can't believe the luck I have had in the drawings). This time I'll try to beat my last and best time (7:48:07).
- Someday between the 20th and the 23rd in August. Will comply with what is already a tradition and for the forth time I'll climb the Angliru. As at the Quebrantahuesos I'll try to beat my last and best time (1:29:25).
- August 25th. The etape of La Vuelta. It is in Asturias, the start is a few kilometers away from my parents' and it just happened that I'll be on holidays in Asturias that week. It's the destiny.
- September. The Etape-Cymru. Repeating last year experience. No other objective but enjoying the landscapes and the atmosphere.
My main goal for this year is the Quebrantahuesos and I'll use it as an excuse to try to get fitter. First months accumulating miles and then focusing in long rides with lots of climbing. Will see how it goes...
Javier Arias González